Monday, June 9, 2014

Wise and Godly Counselors: A Diagnostic Checklist

The book of Proverbs makes clear that having wise and godly counselors is an essential part of living wisely and living well. We cannot fly solo and fly well at the same time. We need other people to speak into our lives, to gently and lovingly expose our sin, to pray with us, to encourage us, and to challenge us (Paul Tripp puts it helpfully when he says, 'Our walk with God is a community project'). Here are some diagnostic questions to consider whether you have the godly counselors that Proverbs says that we need: 
  1. Do I have multiple people with whom I have regular conversations about things that matter? 
  2. Are these people wise, trustworthy, and do they fear the LORD (which Proverbs says is the beginning of wisdom)?
  3. Do I have friends in my life who know me, love me, and who feel free to speak truth even when it's not something easy to say or hear? Their names are... (If you're married this should include your spouse, but not be limited to your spouse. If your spouse is the only person who you count on for this type of input you're putting a crushing responsibility on their shoulders.)
  4. When someone comes to me with a constructive criticism or correction I view this as [or I respond by]... 

No comments:

Post a Comment